The National Office Comments On Our Covenant
We are pleased to announce that the Congregational United Church of Christ, Valley City, has been officially named as an Open and Affirming (ONA) church at the national level as is stated in the following email message. The designation follows more than a year’s worth of effort by our ONA committee which includes Carol Umsted, Roxanne Rogers, Candace Rasmussen, Sarah Lerud, and co-chairs Susan Kringlie and Connie Reiten. We will make an announcement to the Valley City community in the near future. Please read our ONA covenant, which concludes this message, to fully understand what it means to be recognized as an Open and Affirming Place of Worship
Email Response From National Level Regarding Open and Affirming Status
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 11:22 AM
Subject: Re: Request for ONA Designation form
I am sorry to have not responded before now, I was on a brief vacation.
Your covenant has been received and it is wonderfully crafted.
Thank you all for sending it our way, I will be working on your welcome packet and e-mail in the upcoming days.
Have a blessed Holy Week and Easter,
The Rev. Rodney Mundy-Haase
ONA Program Coordinator
CUCC of Valley City’s ONA Covenant
The Valley City Congregational United Church of Christ welcomes you into our family. What do we mean when we say we are a family?
- Does it mean we only want you if you conform to our expectations? This is true in some families but not our family.
- Does it mean we will not accept you because of your sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions? This is true in some families but not our family.
- Does it mean we only accept certain races, ethnic backgrounds, or nationalities? This is true in some families but not our family.
- Does it mean we only accept those of a certain financial status? This is true in some families but not our family.
- Does it mean we only accept able-bodied persons, free of physical, cognitive, or emotional disabilities? This is true in some families but not our family.
This is what is true in our family:
- Our family accepts you for who you are, as you are, in this and any moment.
- Like other families, our family has values. We value the wisdom of other traditions, communal worship, and social justice action inclusive of the earth and all living things.
- As a beloved community of the people of God, we enjoy each other’s company as we work, play, and study together to continue as followers of our Lord Jesus.
- We understand that families do not always agree despite their love and concern for one another. Hence, our family strives to settle differences of opinion with respect and understanding.
Welcome to our family.